Being Thoughtful to OthersBy Angela Marshall, 6th Nov 2014
Our lives are very busy and we are often rushing around. We can all be guilty of focusing on ourselves and it is something we need to do from time to time to achieve what needs to be done in our lives. However, it is also important to be thoughtful and considerate to others and to have a thought for other people’s desires and wishes. Being thoughtful is more than just being polite, it is helping to make the world a better place to live in. It is about doing things that you would like others to do for you.
It only takes a moment to be thoughtful to others. It doesn’t have to cost money e.g. opening a door for a lady with a pushchair or a man carrying a heavy parcel or saying “please” and “thank you” to a waiter when you order your meal or a coffee. It is not only polite, it also makes it a more pleasant experience for the waiter and it can make you feel better too.
Just doing little things for people you know can make big differences in their lives. Consider phoning a friend or member of the family who lives on their own and say a quick hello. If you know someone is going through a bad time ring them or send a note or card with a message you are thinking of them.
Being thoughtful is effortless and easy for everyone to do and if everyone does it, the world will be a much brighter place.
Things to remember:
- Be humble – think about others as well as yourself
- Do good deeds for others and don’t expect anything in return – go out of your way to make someone’s day a bit brighter. Do to others as you would wish done to you.
- Take time to think about the things you say or do – taking responsibility for our actions and considering how it might affect other people.
- Make a person feel special – give them some time, listen and show interest.
- Smile – go out of your way to smile at everyone.
- Pay Attention to what is going on around you – notice what a difference you can make and take action.
- Benefits – with practice we gain experience and learn the joys and benefits of helping others and it improves our own life as well.
To sum it up if we all learn to be thoughtful, we will all grow as individuals and our world will become a better place. There will be fewer problems as we take care of each other rather than being selfishly motivated.