Building a Successful WardrobeBy Angela Marshall, 30th Sep 2009
Stylist Gok Wan says “Shop less, wear more”. How true.
As an image consultant I have noticed:
Women – Too many women say they have ‘nothing to wear’ whether it’s for work, a special occasion or going out for the evening. Yet they have lots of clothes in their wardrobes. This is where the 80:20 theory comes in. Often 80% are clothes that don’t fit, suit their personality or are inappropriate for their lifestyle; there may also be too much black. The result is they only wear 20% of the clothes in their wardrobe.Men – generally don’t sort out their wardrobes. They hoard things so their wardrobe is full of old clothes and often ‘make do’ on weekends. They need to build a wardrobe to suit the activities they have in their lives e.g. business meetings, sporting events, dinner with friends, going out to eat, school events, entertaining at work or at home. The need to ensure they dress for their business and social life, you never know who you may meet and first impressions count for ALL occasions.
- Sort out your wardrobe, get rid of what you don’t wear or at least put it in a different place.
- Organise what you have and check out what you need.
- Mend items that need repair.
- Send items, which need it, to the cleaners.
- Basics – acquire those first.
- Mix and match – gone are the ‘wear-once fast fashion days’, choose items with quality that have longevity and can be teamed with other items.It is one of the best ways to save money on your wardrobe wants.
- Shoes and accessories – all you actually need are a few basic designs and colours; these you can use for most events!
Need help with your wardrobe? After seeing Appearance Management, clients find they have a smaller wardrobe yet feel they have more to wear and are surprised how little they need to purchase. Appearance Management will save you money and you will have the 3 Ws – a workable, wearable wardrobe!