Dress Well and Look Stylish for our AgeBy Angela Marshall, 11th Dec 2014
Whether you are 25 or 50 it is important to look stylish and dress well. Every year, at your birthday, look at your wardrobe and check what needs tweaking to suit your personal style and age. As we get older we also change and develop and what may have suited us a few years ago may not look the same or suit our personality now.
What does dressing well and looking stylish mean?
Wearing clothes that fit well and that are clean, neat and tidy. Ensuring you are always well groomed whether in formal or casual attire. Understanding your own style which reflects your wardrobe personality and age group and dressing appropriately for every occasion. If in doubt it is better to be overdressed than under dressed. Learn and adapt your style by understanding and knowing what works for you and ensuring you feel as well as look good.
Everything must fit well.
- Find a good tailor. Most decent dry cleaning places will also do alterations, but preferably get to know one personally so that they can check the fit of your clothes personally.
- A jacket fits across the shoulders and the sleeves are the correct length. Your suit sleeves should end just above the hinges of your wrists, so a quarter to half inch of shirt cuff shows.
- Trousers are fitting correctly at the waist, should not be baggy or so skin tight that they will tear. Ensure the waist is comfortable and not so loose that you need the belt to hold them up and the length is correct with shoes on. Your pants should just clip the tops of your shoes, not bunch up over them.
- Shirts should be the correct sleeve length and not puff out at the waist.
- Suits should fit like a glove, a good suit should hug your shoulders, not slouch off them. A tailor can check for any alterations as most off the peg suits require some alterations.
- For women ensure the skirt or dress length compliments your legs.
Clean Neat & Tidy
Ensure you are always well groomed by ensuring your clothes, shoes, hair and nails are clean, neat and tidy.
Understand what styles, fabrics and textures compliment you and reflect your personality. You need to feel comfortable in your clothes to feel and look good which in turn gives you great confidence. Don’t wear what others look good in and yet you do not feel good when you wear them. Add accessories which you enjoy and bring out your own style.
Dress appropriately for the occasion
There are such varieties to chose from whether casual, informal, formal or evening wear. Check out the dress code and don’t be afraid to ask when attending events and ask for an example if they do not make it clear e.g.is informal jeans or no jeans, formal tie or no tie.
Dressing Our Age
As we get older it is wiser to introduce more and more of the classics into an outfit and add some new trends which will still be good to be implemented. Transitional trends become less important and the way to look your best consistently will be through simplicity; consider style rather than fashion. Buy a range of colours to add to your classics but check if your colouring is softer and needs lighter or more muted tones. Buy better quality and experiment with different neck lines, textures and cuts which will add a touch of youth to your outfit and keep things varied.
Accessories add style, are great to update your look and add colour plus they are a great way to express your personality. As we get older they help you to stay fashionable without being too trendy . Chose the best quality you can afford for business. Women always carry a spare pair of hosiery.
Tags: Wardrobe Personality