Etiquette Friday – Being Entertained in Other People’s HomesBy Angela Marshall, 31st Aug 2012
It’s Friday and the day I request you join me in my campaign for 2012 to change “Casual Friday” to “Etiquette Friday”, to get people and companies involved. If we consciously make an effort every Friday then hopefully it will become a habit every day. I challenge you to make one small change a week and by the end of the year let’s hope we have a more pleasant and positive society.
It’s enjoyable to stay with members of the family or friends, but it is also important to ensure your hosts enjoy your visit and your company as well. After accepting an invitation to stay ensure you go with a positive attitude, be adaptable and appreciate their hospitality. Always allow that people may do things different to you and enjoy the experience. If you feel unwell immediately prior to the stay rather than be out of sorts for the visit, cancel with as much time as possible to allow any planned arrangements especially re food.
Suggestions and reminders to consider as a guest:
- Be punctual – arrive on time and leave on time as agreed. Don’t overstay your welcome.
- Special requirements – advice your hosts of any allergies or dietary requirements.
- Greeting On Arrival – when you arrive show you are pleased to see them.
- Take some gifts e.g. wine, flowers, basket of fruit, chocolates.
- Be courteous and communicate – if staying for a period of time then advise your hosts of any comings and goings and be on time for meals and avoid moaning or complaining.
- Be flexible and adaptable – all families have their own ways; try to fit in with your hosts.
- Be neat and tidy – keep yourself neat and be tidy especially in the communal areas.
- Show interest in them – listen, give eye contact, show interest in them and smile! Show you are happy, if needed make an effort to enjoy yourself.
- Avoid too much time on your electronic gadgets e.g. Ipad or Iphone, remember your hosts have invited you to be with them.
- Ensure you write a note of thank you. You can text or phone as many people do these days, but people always appreciate a note of thanks. Remember they have given time and made an effort to entertain you, so give a little time in thanking them.
As a guest it is important to fit in with domestic routines and remember every family has their own style so enjoy and appreciate others ways and views.