Etiquette Friday – Entertaining People in Your HomeBy Angela Marshall, 24th Aug 2012
It’s Friday and the day I request you join me in my campaign for 2012 to change “Casual Friday” to “Etiquette Friday”, to get people and companies involved. If we consciously make an effort every Friday then hopefully it will become a habit every day. I challenge you to make one small change a week and by the end of the year let’s hope we have a more pleasant and positive society.
Entertaining People in Your Home
It is enjoyable to entertain friends and family in your home but for many it can also be a worrying time especially if you are not used to it. People have different dietary requirements and often the least helpful can be the most demanding and some people can be very impolite. However, it is important that everyone has fun and that you as hosts enjoy your guests’ company. Otherwise there is no point in having people to stay.
Entertaining people can be stressful, so here are some suggestions that may help:
- Plan ahead – when are they arriving and leaving, plan the meals and know their dietary requirements where possible.
- Consider how you will entertain them – know their interests. It makes it easier to keep them occupied and helps lighten the atmosphere.
- Greet with enthusiasm – when guest arrive ensure you greet them with enthusiasm and show you are pleased to see them.
- Your style of entertaining – if your style is to be relaxed and have everyone help themselves advise your guests from the outset. If people are doing a variety of events and you want meal times to be at a set time then advise everyone.
- Explain your family routines e.g. If guests stay overnight and you have limited bathrooms suggest the best arrangements for using bathrooms.
Remember! It is the hosts’ role to look after guests, but it is also important that everyone enjoys themselves.