A common concern many people have in obtaining a job or promotion at work is their lack of confidence which they feel will hold them back in a competitive job market.
10 tips on how to overcome this:
- Visualise yourself in the job and how good you will be. Think positive!
- Dress well to suit the position and ensure you feel as well as look good (be comfortable in your clothes). Dress for the job you want not the one you’ve got!
- Think positively and imagine yourself in the role.
- Good Body Language – Stand, walk and sit with upright posture, hold your head up high and give a firm and positive handshake.
- Smile! It relaxes the face and helps you feel more relaxed plus it helps build rapport with the person/s you are seeing
- Speak clearly, concisely and with confidence.
- Practise in front of a mirror.
- Remember to use 2 ears and 1 mouth, so listen attentively to what the interviewer or bosses say, but ask questions.
- Don’t be overwhelmed by the person’s position, remember they are human and can make mistakes just like you.
- Be yourself!
Finally, if you don’t know the answer to questions, don’t be afraid to say so or ask them to clarify what they mean. Sometimes it is the company jargon or their explanation that you haven’t understood.
Have some Goals
It is important to set yourself some goals, so that your self esteem and confidence grows. When you achieve your goals continue to give yourself some more. If you fail at anything put it down to experience, try again or move on. Regularly look at your goals, and if needed identify what skills you’ll need to achieve them and check out how you can obtain these skills. Most importantly believe in yourself and your abilities and you will be surprised how well you will achieve them!