Thinking of getting a New Look?By Angela Marshall, 5th Feb 2010
If you want to start the decade with a new wardrobe, hair style or makeup, first ask yourself what you want to change? Do you want to look more professional, smarter, more up to date, thinner or younger? To get things moving choose one or two things that you will undertake immediately. Just a few steps and you will already start to feel transformed.
7 ideas to Consider:
1. Changing your hairstyle – when did you last change your hairstyle? Is it dated or not working for you? As we get older our hairstyle needs to change in keeping with our face and the texture of our hair. Don’t get in a rut by keeping the same hairstyle, a new look gives us a new lease of life and is well worth investing in.
2. Clothes that flatter with style and fit – Be self aware; there is no substitute for understanding which are your better and which are your weaker areas. Accentuate the good and neutralise the bad e. g. Do you have a short or long body? If short then avoid a thick belt and wear a longer top to lengthen your upper body. Do you have a long or short neck? If short avoid high necklines.
Ask for style advice, if necessary, you’ll save a lot of time shopping and avoid costly mistakes.
3. What shades of colours work for you? Do certain blues make you look pale or yellows make you sallow? If unsure have a colour consultation. It will make shopping easier and you will look more radiant wearing the shades that suit you.
Colour also affects our emotions and influences people; colour can lift our spirits or helps us to look approachable, assertive or happy.
4. Your clothes should reflect your wardrobe personality. Understanding what styles, fabrics and accessories you feel as well as look good in will ensure you do not waste time or money picking up items on impulse that you won’t wear. Key to this is knowing what styles, fabrics and accessories suit your personality, and these will differ depending on whether you are more creative, conservative, dramatic, fashion fad, or casual.
Read my books “Being Truly You – Discovering Your Own Unique Wardrobe Personality” which include a questionnaire to complete to find out which you are.
5. Know what accessories you enjoy. Whether you like little and simple plain items, lots of fancy details or few bold pieces, accessories are a great way to add style and your own personality to an outfit, as well as updating or changing your look.
6. Ensure you have the suitable undergarments – such as a correctly fitted bra and style of underwear that create smooth lines so that only the outer garments are noticed.
7. Get good advice and follow it. Get another point of view, from someone you trust. We all can get into a rut and stick to what we’re comfortable with, even if it’s not suiting us. Remember, we change as we get older.
Over the years, many men and women have turned to Appearance Manangment for image consultant advice which has helped them towards changing their lives either in their career or personal life. When you feel good about yourself, things begin to fall into place rapidly and new opportunities present themselves with much more clarity and purpose.