Tips for Having A Good Personal Image or Erotic Capital?By Angela Marshall, 23rd Aug 2011
There is a lot of talk in the news about the new book “Honey Money: The Power of Erotic Capital” by Dr Catherine Hakim. As a social scientist Dr Hakim believes that the most attractive with beauty, intelligence and potent charm are the most successful and have far fewer problems than the rest of us. I would disagree with some of this. You just have to look at our MPs, members of the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet in the House of Commons and Prime Minister’s Question Time and see how attractive and charming they are. Plus many famous film stars have big personal issues and deep down have low self-esteem. Dr Hakim thinks we all need to have a blend of beauty, sex appeal, liveliness, social skills, sexuality and skills of self-presentation, physical fitness and charm.
Many of Dr Catherine Hakim’s comments seem a bit feminist and quite controversial. However, I do believe that if we portray a good personal image we will look good, feel good and this in turn will help our confidence and self –esteem. Many stars are not naturally beautiful, but look very attractive as they have learnt to make the most of their beauty, social skills and charm. We mustn’t forget either that when magazines have done surveys asking people what they look for in a date or future partner a sense of humour is high on the list.
As an image consultant, who enjoys helping people make the most of their personal image, here are some suggestions for what you need to think about to make the most of yourself:
- Learn to understand what styles of clothes compliment your shape.
- Learn what your wardrobe personality types are. It will help you to understand what styles of clothes, fabrics and accessories makes you feel good as well as look good.
- Wear colours of clothes that compliment your skin tone, eyes and hair, so you look healthy and glowing.
- Always be well groomed.
- Regularly sort, organise and plan your wardrobe to suit your lifestyle and the season.
- Give yourself a budget for your clothes and plan what you need each season.
- Ensure you have good social skills – good manners, communication skills.
- Have Good Body Language – good posture, be friendly, approachable and smile!
- Keep fit as possible and eat healthy.
- Have a sense of humour, be enthusiastic and have fun. Life is too short not to enjoy it!
Basically, it comes down to making the most of what you’ve got, update yourself for your age and lifestyle, always be well groomed and regularly work on your social skills. Keep yourself fit and healthy as best you can. Finally, always be polite, considerate to your friends, colleagues and those you meet. You will then receive better service, people will like and trust you and therefore you will achieve more of what you want in life.