Looking After LinenBy Angela Marshall, 3rd Apr 2014
Linen is ideal in hot weather, but a lot will depend on your wardrobe personality whether you enjoy wearing it, especially 100% linen, as it creases easily. Personally I will wear a linen mix but hate my items really creased unless I am on holiday relaxing or travelling and even then I do not feel my best.
Like all fabrics it is important to look after linen.
7 Tips on looking after Linen:
- Keep any pockets empty, avoid putting items in them as the fabric will easily sag and lose its shape very quickly
- Wash in non biological powder without any bleaching agents and use a fabric conditioner
- Do not wring as it will crease too much, if needed only light spin
- Always iron the item of clothing on the reverse side to avoid creating shiny patches
- Don’t iron over zips, fastenings, thick sections such as hems and pockets
- Use a damp cloth on top and then iron or steam-press
- If the item is dry and you don’t have a good steam iron put the item in the freezer before you iron it ( 5- 10 minutes should be sufficient for it to stiffen and get cold)
Picture: Jacket from House of Fraser